Manel Kape has shut down speculation that he is set to challenge newly crowned flyweight champion Joshua Van in the co-main event of UFC 326 next month.
Reports circulated this week suggesting Kape would face Van (16-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) for the 125-pound title at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on March 7, but “Starboy” (22-7 MMA, 7-3 UFC) took to social media to deny the claim.
“Fake news. I am not fighting my ‘son’ Joshua Van,” Kape tweeted. He added that his team has been actively pursuing the matchup since his last fight but was informed by the UFC that the next title shot had already been promised to Tatsuro Taira following Taira’s victory over Brandon Royval.
According to Kape, the promotion indicated there was still a “strong possibility” the Van fight could materialize for March 7, prompting him to begin cutting weight. He said he was down to 144 pounds by Monday before being told the bout would not move forward due to the short turnaround time.
Van captured the title under unusual circumstances at UFC 323 in December, when longtime champion Alexandre Pantoja suffered an early elbow dislocation during their championship clash.
Kape, meanwhile, has built significant momentum in the division. He has won seven of his last eight fights and is coming off a first-round stoppage of Royval in December, further strengthening his case for a shot at gold.
Despite the setback, Kape struck a patient tone.
“We keep moving forward. Patient as always,” he wrote. “Champion soon, Insha’Allah.”
For now, the flyweight title picture remains fluid as the UFC weighs its next move.











